Saturday, October 30, 2004

Jesus Titty Fucking Christ

Jesus Titty Fucking Christ
10/30/04

Title: Team America: World Police (2004)
Release: This film is currently in wide release in U.S. theatres.
Rating: R
IMDB Link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0372588/

Team America: World Police was not as funny or exciting as I had hoped. I must admit I have only recently become a fan of Matt and Trey (I actually saw the movie South Park before ever seeing an entire episode of the television show), but I really expected more. These two can have their way with today’s most serious political topics while still making a point, a skill they did not really use in Team America.

Overall I think that they were rushed. I had heard that they didn’t fully realize the challenges of working with the marionettes (which I can fully understand) but it seems that they let the story and humor suffer to hold true to the vision. I would almost have preferred a lower budget and simpler type of animation and more content than the elaborate sets and sometimes dozens of puppets at a time. (Though I will say not enough films are made using marionettes.)

In spite of some of the letdowns of this film, there were a number of things I really enjoyed. For instance the line I used for the title of this post and the simplification of the world into three categories; dicks, pussies and assholes. I also really got a kick out of the obvious play and spoof on the typical action film we have all developed a love/hate relationship with. The musical numbers were good with the “montage” song being my favorite by far.

If you are a fan of Matt and Trey, you have probably already seen the film. If not, I might wait for it to be at the $1 house.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home