Thursday, November 04, 2004

I Heart Huckabees

I Heart Huckabees (2004)
Dir: David O. Russel
Release: Currently in limited release
IMDB Link
Trailer link

Wow, this movie is described as an existential comedy and that about sums it up. I just came from the film and I really think that I will need a day or two (and even possibly a second viewing) to fully process everything that I experienced. I can’t really write too much about story without ruining the film but I will share some of my other observations.

They could not have cast this film better. I really loved the chemistry between Catherine (Lilly Tomlin) and Bernard (Dustin Hoffman). The only better cast and written character in the film was Cahterine Vauban (Isabelle Huppert) as the dark morose “life sucks get over it” French connection.

There is a particular effect used in the trailer that is also used in the film that could have easily gotten old but was always used effectively so I can’t complain.

There are a number of incredibly funny moments woven artfully with moments of spiritual and emotional enlightenment. If you enjoy a good laugh, meaningful dialogue and superb acting then you will enjoy I Heart Huckabees.

1 Comments:

At 7:21 AM, Blogger girlzoot said...

Does Isabelle Huppert ever play anything but dark and morose? I mean from her stint in The Piano Teacher, to her dark role in 8 Women. The woman has got morose fucking down!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home